Midwives in Focus: Time to shift the narrative
This January, we are delighted to launch the new Midwives in Focus initiative.
Midwives in Focus will challenge perceptions of midwifery and aim to increase the value placed upon the midwifery profession on a global scale.
“In many countries and contexts, midwives remain undervalued and unable to fulfill their true potential […] We can no longer remain focussed on the identification of problems without being solutions focussed through the provision of applied research and evidence-based action,” Dr Sally Pezaro, Project Lead, Midwives in Focus, School of Nursing, Midwifery and Health, Coventry University.
As part of this new initiative, on 13th January, we will launch a new Midwives in Focus, Nursing Now Challenge Global Solutions Initiative (NNCGSI) in collaboration with Coventry University and Jhpiego.
This global solutions initiative will challenge midwives globally to develop a functional solution to a known challenge faced by midwives today based on one of the four key recommendations in the State of the World’s Midwifery report.
This NNCGSI will launch on 13th January at 2 pm (GMT) and will run until 25th February 2022.
Winners of this challenge will receive…
- $500 prize money
- The opportunity to join the Midwives in Focus steering committee
- Personalised coaching session with known leaders in the field
What is the NNCGSI?
The Nursing Now Challenge Global Solutions Initiative (NNCGSI) connects nurses and midwives around the world to share ideas and encourage nurse and midwife-led innovations that resolve global health issues.
The NNCGSI aims to:
- Facilitate global interaction and partnerships between nurses and midwives
- Encourage the development of practical nurse and midwife-led solutions globally, thereby supporting the career development of participating nurses and midwives
- Provide a space for nurses and midwives to share expertise and demonstrate the power of their knowledge through their innovative solutions to everyday global health challenges
- Raise awareness of global health issues and develop bold, practical ideas to improve public health.
How does it work?
The NNCGSI works with a partner organisation(s) to identify a theme for the challenge. Participants are provided with resources relevant to the chosen thematic area, including articles and webinars that will help them develop their solutions. Participants submit a concept note which outlines their solution to be judged by a panel of global experts.
How do I get involved?
If you are interested in participating in the NNCGSI, join our Facebook group and stay tuned for information about the next challenge, coming soon!
To learn more about the NNCGSI and our winners to date, click here.
To hear more about the work of midwives around the globe see: