The campaign is based on a simple set of values and principles:
- Everybody has the right to health and health care.
- Everyone has something to teach and everyone has something to learn. People from different countries working and learning together can develop new approaches to improving health, which benefit us all.
- A ‘Health in All Policies’ approach – considering the health implications of decisions made across sectors – is vital. Factors as diverse as education, economic status, social capital and the physical environment profoundly affect the health and well-being of individuals and populations.
- Health improvement relies on people working well together. Health workers and members of the public alike should bring their different skills and experiences to their shared goals. Nursing should be developed with respect to the advancement of the health workforce at large and the creation of new models of care and health promotion.
- The campaign’s success depends on what happens locally. Nursing Now will be judged with primary reference to the day-to-day experiences of patients, citizens and health workers.