Clinical academic development posts are offered for one year to develop research skills and confidence. For one day a week the Band 5 nurse or midwife is engaged in a research and leadership skills development programme. Activities include:
• Undertaking leadership training
• Shadowing senior nurse/midwife researchers
• Networking with clinical researchers
• Working with SBUHB clinical research nurses
• Working with librarians on a literature search
• Developing a research proposal to bid for funding (e.g. PhD)
The one year clinical academic post could be the foundation for a research career or enhance career development more broadly.
20 nurses and midwives have been enrolled on this leadership development programme.